Friday, April 10, 2009

Origami Gear Guard

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to bend up a set of shields to cover some really sharp and heavy gears . This was a one off and super low budget affair, using things around the office.
I redrew my paper template in Rhino, printed it out and glued it to 22 gauge sheet metal from Home Depot.
After cutting and filing, I bent the pieces into shape using some steel blocks left over from another project and fitted them to assembly the gears would attach to (forgot to take pictures of that part).
Following drilling and tapping, I scrubbed them with a lacquer thinner soaked scotch brite pad and applied clear coat.
The final installation. Covering the area where humans interact, while not hiding the gears entirely, since they are a key feature of the design.

No comments: